Tuition, The 2 Sided Story

Category: By Lupin Tan
Side 1: Kluang, Malaysia

During 10 days back in Kluang holidaying, apart from the relaxation and the nice food, one thing that kept going on and on like an energiser bunny is this topic of tuition(补习)

For Malaysia, the school terms only start on 5th Jan 2009. But you can see from my kiddy cousins face, school haven't actually ended. For the entire holiday, they had been going for tuitions after tuitions. My aunts, auntie-in-laws had been comparing and recommending which tuition center to send their kids to tuition which subjects.

Joke 1: I got a cousin, female who I christened "Stupid Pig(SP)"(But that's another story), during one of the school terms, her teacher ask the class, "Who among you need to go for tuition for every single day in the week?" Without thinking twice, SP put up her hand, and upon looking around, she's the only one with the hand up. You see, SP had only 5 subjects for her age, but silly her, she go and add Piano practises and Calculas Classes into it, hence making it seven days. Poor Thing.

Joke 2: My youngest aunt had been making calls and arrangment to get her son and anthoer cousins of mine into some tuitions center. So she source around with my relatives (other aunts and auntie-in-laws) on which tuitions center provide better classes and stuff. At the end of the day, I joke she could compile a list in which she could provide a phone-in services for prospective enquirers, by quoting the subjects and age of the candidate, she could provide a "best" tuition center for a fees, even get commision from the tuition center. Haha.


Side 2, Sunday Times dated 040109, Singapore:

Caption: "Parents pull back on tuition to fight hard times"

A tuition center report a 10%-20% drop on parents seeking tution.
Parents now would only willing to pay $20/hour instead of $25/hour rates for a premium teacher.
A tuiton center report a 75% drop in attendances for Dec holidays (which I think, ppl got holiday instead la, Duh!!)
Parents focus only on weaker subject. (Piang, No monies, focus so many for what)
More Parents turn to assistance for aids for tutions.

Ha, I actually condensed the article for ur easy reads.

My Take:
1. Heng, Limpeh already no need to go for tuitions
2. Even if moi need to go tuitions, I would totally skipped the classes, take the monies and go to MacDonalds (Oh wait, I did it when I was young, gena rotan until siao!)
3. Prior to the that, I told my sister, I Gam Xia Ti Gong(Thank God!) that my youth was well spend holidaying in Kluang, waking up watching cartoons in the morning and going to my uncle comic shop to nua for the rest of the days.
4. I pity my kiddy cousins...
5. Tuitions or not, I think it would make much of the difference, the amount of knowledge the kid can assorb is only that much, sometimes even with tuitions, it won't help, least to say make it worse.

This is my first written entry since Gods-know-when, hope you like it and stay tune.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?